Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sally Mann Documentary

I really enjoyed Sally's discourse regarding why she chose the subjects that she did. She said "photograph what you love", which really struck me. Before this class, I tended to photograph the people I love. Though I suppose I still could, I find myself photographing ordinary things that I find beautiful and only one person that I love. As we discussed how photographs are essentially self-portraits, I should analyze why I like to capture things and only one person.
I also liked how Sally wondered if people buy prints because they are controversial or because they see them and like them. I, too, have wondered this about art in a wider sense. I once saw an art show where someone had dressed dead bodies in different costumes and taken pictures of them. It made me wonder if artists make art because they are trying to spark a particular feeling in the audience or because they want to be controversial enough to get a show that will be hyped. I think Sally really walked the line of controversiality with her project on death. It is clear that she truly had a morbid curiosity, but I wonder if this project was sparked by the unconscious desire to produce more controversial work that would spark the interest of the public. However, I really respected her notion that "your body is just a shell that holds the real you...it's meaningless".

No comments:

Post a Comment